Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday's Fave Five #261


Whew, where did that week go?  It just zipped right by.  So glad to have FFF to force me to take a pause and notice the good things that God has blessed me with.  Please join me!

1.  Staff Christmas dinner.  Hubby's staff dinner was this week.  They are a very small staff of three so it was a really nice intimate dinner at a really great restaurant.  I ate entirely way too much but every bite was delicious from the coconut shrimp and deep fried pickle appetizers, cooked to perfection steak and sides and finishing with white chocolate banana cream pie.  The company was great and it was nice to celebrate with the people my hubby works with.

2.   Learning the ins and outs of my new phone.  While I have to admit technology strains my brain, I have really been enjoying learning what this phone can do.  I've actually enjoyed the challenge.  While I have no delusions and know it's going to take me a while to learn all the things this phone has to offer (and probably won't use nearly all of them), it has been fun playing around.  I've especially loved the great camera it has and the fun features and modes the camera can use.

3.  Discovering a family favorite dish.  The other night I had a pound of pork cubes and had no idea what to do with it and not much motivation.  I googled pork and rice and came across this recipe:  Slow Cooker Thai Pork with Peppers.  I changed it up just a tad; I didn't have fresh ginger, but had this wonderful Thai spice called Thai Sigh.  So I cut the garlic in the recipe back to 4 knowing that there was garlic in the blend and skipped the fresh ginger, again knowing it was in the blend.  I added a teaspoon of dried cilantro and let it cook away.  Oh my goodness it was delicious.  Definitely was a big hit!  I've got fresh ginger on the grocery list so I'm going to try it exactly the way it was written and I'm thinking it will be even better because of the fresh ingredient.

4.  Candy Cane ice cream.  A seasonal favorite, I found one that has some chocolate pieces in it too.  Yummy!

5.  Covergirl LipPerfection.  Love this stuff.  Very light with just a hint of sheer color, a touch of gloss and tons of stuff that makes my lips really soft.  And with this crazy Alberta weather we've been having my lips have been getting so dry.  This is the perfect thing for them.


What have been your favorite blessings for the week?




11 comments:

nikkipolani said...

Fried pickles?? I love that! Lots of tasty goodness in your post this week. I'm definitely looking up that Thai recipe -- thanks!

Gattina said...

Your function learning of your new phone made me laugh, because I would have the same problems. My 3 year old grandson handles these things as I my cooking spoon, lol !

Willow said...

I know that a new phone is in the plans for me very soon, but I am dreading it for the very same reasons you listed. Even though it's a slow process, I know you'll eventually figure it all out (and maybe I will too).

Lots of yummy food in your line up this week--did I note an Asian theme?

Faith said...

Good for you Susanne for attempting a smart phone, I have all I can handle with a laptop and iPad!! My oldest daughter loves her smart phone though so I'll probably end up with one after my youngest gets one in another year. What DID we do before all this technology?? I'm going to try that recipe you linked to, I need some good crockpot ones for these busy winter days!! Enjoy the weekend

Hazel said...

Coconut shrimp and deep fried pickle sound really yummy! Getting to know a phone is a challenge for me too but I keep on buying the latest it's crazy. I'll remember the Covergirl lipPerfection for a winter trip to South Korea next year.

Barbara H. said...

The company dinner sounds fun. My husband's company doesn't do that with the spouses - I guess it is easier to do with a small group.

It took me a long time to get into my phone, too, and I mainly just used it for calls at first, but slowly I began to explore some of the other functions and love it now, though my kids are still light years ahead of me with theirs.

ellen b. said...

That company dinner made my lips smack! It's nice to be able to have those. Have fun with that phone!!

Jerralea said...

It sounds like you had a yummy week!

My hubby is going to be getting a new phone soon. I dread it because he expects me to know how to work everything ...

Thanks for the heads up on the LipPerfection. This weather here is wreaking havoc with my lips as well.

Snowbird said...

Well you've been feasting for sure this week...you go girl!!!

Oh, you and me both re technology, my phone is dying and I still won't get another one!xxx

Kathie said...

Your dinner sounds delicious - worth every bite! And that ice-cream? I notice it's on sale at our little country store so I'm buying some today. I've never tried it before but you have me intrigued.

I just got a new phone too - a Galaxy 3 with data. Very handy for instantly sending pictures to the UK!

Happy Saturday Susanne!

Cindy said...

Never heard of deep fried pickles before, good???? Lovely staff party, I miss those. Oh yes ice cream candy cane wonderful surprise only at this time of year I find. The weeks are flying by fast. I'll have to find myself FFF this week. Enjoy Cindy http://besidethetrail.ca/hatsnhospitalitea/