Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Meme Come Back

Sandra from Diary of a Stay at Home Mom has resurrected good old fashioned blogging in the way of a meme.  Something that was very popular when we first started blogging way back when.  I miss those days of "friendship" blogging.  Memes were fun and nice way to get to know other bloggers and it "introduced" bloggers to each other as they got tagged and answered.  Bring the meme, I say.

I'll tag Barbara at Stray Thoughts, Karen at Over the Backyard Fence, Anne at Nikkipolani and Faith at Gold in the Clouds and anybody else who wants to join in.  Just let me know in the comments you've done it so I can come and take a peek at your answers.  Here's Sandra's housekeeping meme:

Aprons - Y/N If Y what does your favorite look like?
I do like aprons mainly because I tend to always get my shirts splattered with something as I cook.  My favorites are the bib kind.  This question reminds me of a funny thing that happened in dayhome.  One of the dayhome kids said I wore my "bathing" suit all the time.   Mortified at what he might be telling his parents, I thought what on earth?  I don't even wear my bathing suit when I'm working in the summer and we take the pool out.  Upon further questioning and examination, I realized one little word was lost in translation.  Here I present to you my "baking" suit (circa 2008)...





Baking - Favorite thing to bake?
I am so not a baker!  But I have to say my two favorite things to bake is Apple Crisp (I know that's a bit of a cheat) and Double Brownies (dark on bottom, blonde on top).  I know I can't go wrong with those two.

Clothesline - Y/N
I grew up with my mom hanging everything out on the clothesline and it is a smell that has stayed with me even to this day.  Love it.  I used to have a clothesline and used it for certain items but we finally took it down when it became a hazard for the dayhome kids.  In this business, everything is looked at as a potential for an accident and the line ran too close to my swingset/climber and there was no where else either one could go so down it came.  

Donuts - Have you ever made them?
Nope

Everyday - One homemaking thing you do everyday?
Is cooking a homemaking thing?  Then I say cooking and along with cooking....dishes and kitchen cleaning!

Freezer - Do you have a separate deep freeze?
Yes!  Don't know how I'd be without one now that I've had one most of my whole married life.

Garbage Disposal - Y/N
Yes, love it.

Handbook - What is your favorite homemaking resource?
the good old internet

Ironing - Love it or hate it?
Hate with a capital H

Junk drawer- Y/N - Where is it?
Oh the junk drawer.  I have a stationary type junk drawer in the kitchen and a regular junk drawer also in the kitchen

Kitchen - Color and decorating scheme?
My walls are a bit of a boring beige but I had to find a color that went with my darker cupboards that have sort of a reddish background tone and I don't like grey so I was a bit limited.  But color comes in on my valences and patio door blinds with a color called nutmeg which is actually a bit like a burnt orange.  Love it.

Love - What is your favorite part of homemaking?
My favorite part of homemaking is definitely the cooking.  Love cooking for my family and seeing and hearing them enjoying something new I've tried or their pleasure at having a favorite placed before them at dinner.  I find it very satisfying and uplifting.

Mop - Y/N
I go between a mop, a refillable Swiffer type of mop and just getting right down on my hands and knees.  Depending on my time and how dirty the kitchen floor might be.

Nylons - Wash by hand or in washing machine?
I don't wear a whole lot of dresses anymore but I do wear nylons in the winter when I do and then it's handwash.

Oven - Do you use the window to check on things or do you open the door?
Definitely a door opener.

Pizza - What do you put on yours?
I don't make homemade pizza but I enjoy pizzas that have green peppers, black olives, feta cheese added to them and then after they are cooked, sliced fresh tomatoes and just letting the heat of the pizza warm the tomatoes through.  I also like adding hot banana peppers to a Hawaiian pizza.  But in all truth, I love just about any kind of pizza without anchovies or Italian sausage that has caraway.

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
There's quiet moments in the day?  Not usually with running a dayhome.  But we do have a supposed quiet time where I do like to grab a hot cup of coffee and read a little bit.

Recipe Card Box - Y/N
No.  I don't like them.  The cards are too small.  

Style of house
My house is a bunalow on a basement on a bit of a higher basement though I'm assuming Sandra means decorating style.  Is mish mash a style?  I always struggle with this because I like too many things.  But in general  I'm a bit eclectic (because of said liking too many styles) with definitely a cozy look.  I love woods and tend to more of a traditional, not modern, style.

Tablecloth and napkins - Y/N
I would love a tablecloth and use them for special occasions but for the most part hubby hates having a tablecloth on the table so I only pull them out when I'm having a big dinner with company.

Under the kitchen sink - Organized or toxic wasteland?
Definitely more on the organized side.  I have to be because of having a dayhome. Cannot have any cleaners or such under there.

Vacuum -  How many times per week? 
At least a couple times a week, sometimes more depending on how much we're in the living room with the dayhome.  The kitchen gets a daily sweeping if the vacuum doesn't come out.

Wash - How many loads per week?
I don't even know.  I just shove a load in when  (a)  I have enough for a load or (b) I'm running out of whatever it is I need to wear.  The kids do their own laundry now so it has considerably lessened my laundry load.

X's - Do you make a daily to do list and check it off as you do things?
I'm the to do list queen.  I love seeing chores getting crossed off and have been known to add a chore I just did that didn't happen to be written down just so I can see that item crossed off.  Gotta validate all that hidden work somehow.

Yard - Y/N - Who does what?
Hubby does the majority of outside work but the flower beds are my responsibility.

Zzz's - What is the last homemaking task you do for the day before you go to bed?
Sometimes hand-washing the plastics so that we don't have to wake up to a sink filled with them, but mostly I do a really quick straightening of living room pillows, folding blankets that might have been used, tidying the coffee table.




8 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I love these things! I'll plan to do this one next week.

I do that with to-do lists, too - adding in something I've done that I didn't originally have there. Such a feeling of satisfaction to cross it off!

Sandra said...

Awww why do you hate ironing? LOL I know, I know, I really must be the only one on the planet that loves it, it's quite weird LOL

Loved your answers, and I do the thing with the lists too, though I'm not very good at making lists to start with but when I do, I add in things I've already done just to cross them off and make me feel like I did something lol

Thanks for playing along Susanne, and thank you for being a bloggy friend, I am so glad I met you back in the day and that we are still in touch all these years later. Maybe together we can bring back good old blogging :)

Karen said...

Ooh, thanks for tagging me on this! I love doing meme's. And thanks to Sandra for getting us started.

I'm a list-maker, too, and add things so I can cross them off, same as you:) However, I do enjoy ironing.

Love the story about your baking suit! You should send it in to Reader's Digest.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi ~ I enjoyed reading this - you helped me remember I hadn't done mine yet, so I got busy and it my Meme post is up now! I did forget the last two items though...oh well my alphabet is minus the last two letters. Enjoy the rest of the week!

nikkipolani said...

Fun! I'll have to gather my thoughts and post soon. It is fun to see where we're alike and where we're different.

I smiled at your answer to the "quiet moments during the day" :-) And, yes, mish mash is a style. Mine might be Refugee Redux.

Faith said...

was out of town all day yesterday so just now seeing this before I write my FFF. can i do it later on tonight?? gotta do something since i can't bike....still dealing with major back pain!!

Faith said...

Ok Susanne I finally got the post up!! was fun!! i missed doing these!!

Barbara H. said...

Ok - just got mine up here: http://barbarah.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/a-z-homemaking-meme/

I enjoyed it!